- 395,326 Inhabitants
- GDP per capita income (US$25,451 in 2012)
- Cruises -Passengers per year: 1,392,000.
San Juan is the gateway to the Caribbean, center of an emerging economic region, Capital of the island of Puerto Rico and bridge between Latin America and the United States of America.
Accessible and connected to foreign countries:
The Municipality of San Juan has a central location in the Caribbean. Located between North and South America, at a distance of only 3.5 hour flight from New York, 60 minutes from Caracas, Venezuela, and 4 days of navigation to the main ports in the United States, it is crossway for practical and effective negotiations with the rest of the Americas.
Ciudad • Patria is leader of a great economic zone, where all the sectors are of equal importance. With an extensive industrial tradition and dense business force, San Juan stakes on economy and knowledge-intensive activities, especially in advanced services and new economic activities.
Top-notch Human Resources:
San Juan is the Puerto Rican city with the most important universities and educational institutions in the Caribbean and the United States. This facilitates the creation and attraction of first-class talent. Thousands of bilingual students are successfully employed annually in international and local companies.
Large-scale projects for the Future:
Currently, San Juan is experiencing the greatest transformation in its history, with important public investments and great opportunities for private initiative. It stakes for continued improvement and future projects.
Comprehensive Real Estate Offer:
San Juan is full of opportunities for real estate investment. It has a comprehensive offer of offices, commercial premises and industrial buildings available at very competitive prices and with the best quality standards.
Quality of Life:
San Juan is the Caribbean Capital with better quality of life for employees. A city that, in addition to a pleasant climate, offer sunshine all year-long, it presents a splendid cultural and commercial offer, a modern and efficient health care system and a safe public transportation system, and a tropical lifestyle in a vibrant urban environment.
In San Juan we offer a number of tax incentives to investors and entrepreneurs who will start a business or established in our city, to generate benefits that contribute to the economic growth and development of the municipality and of Puerto Rico.
Rehabilitation of abandoned buildings
Rehabilitation of old trade centers
Rehabilitation of old plazas and shopping centers, encouraging micro-enterprises.
• New employments
• Rehabilitation of abandoned buildings
• Improvement of municipal services
• Development of activities for urban beautification
• Enhance aesthetic, historical and cultural values
• Tax Incentives
What is a new business? -That which is inexistent 1 year before applying for benefits.
Commercial activity not eligible
• Beverages Business
• Horse race Agency
• any moral infringing activity
• Economic Development Director
• Director of Finance
• Director of Town Planning
(or anyone designated by any of them)
Decisions have to be unanimous and endorsed by the mayor of San Juan.
Economic development zones in San Juan:
Río Piedras Downtown
San Juan Islet
Special areas within the Territorial Plan
Incentives in Municipal Licenses
Up to 100% exemption in municipal licenses will be granted to new businesses in the area of development. The period for granting such exemption may be extended up to 5 consecutive years from the authorization date.
1. Municipal licenses exemption will be offered when over $50,000 improvements are made in the ground and/or building. These improvements must involve a payment of construction tax.
2. Exemption will be granted when expansion of activities requires the engagement of 5 or more additional regular employees, or the recruitment of 10 irregular employees for no less than 900 hours each, for 1 year.
3. Finance department will determine the percent and term of the exemption. The maximum period is 5 years.
1. 5 years exemption in movable property.
2. 10 years exemption in real estate (new building).
1. Tax payment on construction and improvements over $50,000 in land and building.
2. The maximum period for tax exemption is 5 years for both, movable and immovable property.
To qualify for movable property exemption, an investment of $50,000 or more is required in the real estate.
Particular incentives for new investment in projects outside of the areas of development:
1. Anyone who receives the exemption and undertakes to create or maintain no less than 75 new jobs in San Juan.
2. Anyone who intends to construct a new building for industrial or commercial use or rehabilitate abandoned buildings.
3. Anyone who commits to establish parking lot facilities for the clientele.
4. Anyone who performs any commercial activity to attract visitors and improve aesthetics.
• The exemption is at the request of the applicant and he/she has to demonstrate the benefit it will bring to San Juan. The approval shall be by a decree of the Evaluation Committee and the Mayor of the Municipality of San Juan.
Other benefits to new investment:
1. Excise Taxes on construction – construction projects of new or rehabilitated buildings that qualify for a tax exemption may request a payment plan:
a. First installment will be 50%
b. The second installment will be for the remaining 50% to be paid on or before June 30 of the fiscal year of the first installment.
1. Statement Sheet – exemptions do not relieve the obligation to submit statements of any other business license, contribution, license, permit or tax charge.
2. Exemption Decree – terms and conditions will be established to any waiver and benefit, and shall be disclosed in the letter of consent.
3. All exemptions and benefits granted shall apply for the duration of the terms at the time of their endowment. They will cease immediately in case of any breach.
4. Physical inspection of books and documents of the business may be carried out.
In San Juan, Ciudad • Patria, we have a wide variety of all kinds of spaces, from museums to spaces for sporting events.
In San Juan, Ciudad • Patria of Puerto Rico, commitment to a dignified employment for its citizens is essential. For this purpose, WIA´s One Stop Services Centers (Centros de Gestión Única) represents a tool that significantly simplifies the way toward training and employment. Since 1999, San Juan Autonomous Municipality was designated as Local Area under the Workforce Investment Act Law of 1998. Through this center we coordinate services of related programs and serve as liaison between people who are looking for employment, employers and service providers. Here you will find useful alternatives to complete these processes.
The One Stop Service System provides basic, intensive, and training services for those who are looking for a job. The Basic Services offer an initial assessment of your education, assistance in the preparation of a resume, and in the process of completing job applications, and counseling in the selection of professional careers. It also provides employment lists, computers and assistance in using the Internet. In the Intensive Services you will find, among others, specialized and comprehensive evaluation, individual and group occupational counseling, case management and employment experiences. In regard to Training Services, teaching is offered for the development of occupational and business skills, among others. In addition, it provides adult education and literacy activities in combination with training and services for unemployed adults and displaced persons in the Municipality of San Juan.
Guidance to Employers
Employers are the primary clients of the workforce investment system. Therefore, activities are offered on the basis of their needs. Proof of this is that the system is based on the “One Stop” concept in which the information and access to services are available in a single physical facility. We have facilities for individual and group interviews, as well as conference rooms for trainings. We have a custom training program based on the needs of the employer or a group of employers, with a commitment to employ citizens of the Municipality of San Juan. It is a valuable tool for small and medium-sized enterprises that require upgrading their technology and production processes. We offer this and other tools for your benefit. For more information, contact us at (787) 480-5680, by fax at (787) 289-0485 or by TTY at (787) 722-2367.
The city is served by five highways and numerous arterial avenues and boulevards. The Metropolitan Bus Authority provides daily transportation to the residents of San Juan and nearby towns through 30 fixed routes. There is also a daily ferry service between Old San Juan and the city of Cataño and Old San Juan, and Hato Rey banking district. The Urban Train has a 17.2 kilometer-line of that connects multiple areas of San Juan with the cities of Bayamón and Guaynabo through 16 stations.
The port of San Juan is the fourth busiest port in the western part of the Hemisphere. It´s classified among the 17 largest in the world in terms of container movement. It is the second port with more cruise activity in America.
Puerto Rico metropolitan area has two international airports. The Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, the main commercial airport of San Juan, located 12.7 kilometers from the old town center, in the neighboring municipality of Carolina. The airport has the capacity for more than 30 national and international airlines and is the busiest airport of the Caribbean, offering direct flights to major cities in North, Central and South America and other international destinations.
The second of the airports is the Fernando Luis Ribas Dominicci Airport, located in the Isla Grande sector of the Conventions District. It is used mainly for general aviation aircraft, charter flights and some domestic commercial flights.