The Tapia Theater is the oldest permanent theater of Puerto Rico. Once its construction was completed, it was inaugurated in the year 1832. During the nineteenth and early twentieth century it was known as the “Municipal Theater” or “Coliseum”. It is located in Old San Juan, at the entrance of the Islet, Fortaleza Street across Plaza Colón. The structure was designed by the engineer Jose Navarro y Herrero. Its architecture represents the neoclassical style that arose in the middle of the eighteenth century and that prevailed until the half of the nineteenth century. Such a lifestyle aspired to regain the standards and tastes of the Greco-Latin classic style. In this theater great performances have been presented such as operas, dramas, zarzuelas, ballet, as well as a variety of musical performances. The theater has a capacity for 640 spectators.